/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Monday, May 18, 2009

For the first time since November...Good news.

So... after being officially layed off...

My district recalled me.

I got a phone call today informing me of that fact.

My school is still closed, but I will be teaching the same grade at a different school.

I'm working up to true excitement. I'm currently resting in the area of relief. Or maybe shock. I'm not sure.

The excitement will come, I just have to give it a few days.

I knew the possibility existed, and when my classroom phone rang in the middle of guided reading, I instructed the class to be silent, "I think this might be a very important phone call" I warned them. "Be quiet." And I think they were, I'm not sure. I wasn't listening to them. (I do know that J--- was standing 2 feet away from me, mock listening by holding his hand up to his ear.)

When I hung up, they asked me what the phone call had been about. "You know how I said I wasn't sure where I was working next year? Now I know. It's not at the school that any of you will be going to, but I have a job." I informed them. Not that they really cared or understood, but at least I had told someone.

I went back to guided reading but was distracted. I finished my groups, gave a few early literacy reading fluency tests (it is testing season, after all) and then it was lunch time. I practically flew out the door with my class, excited to inform another teacher who will also be working at this school, that I would be joining her. My class diligently followed me in line to lunch, and waited patiently while I giggle/exclaimed to this teacher that I had been placed and would be working with her. The news slowly spread across the school. A few of the other layed off teacher were recalled, too. Not all of them, but a few of us.

I have a job teaching the same grade. I will have another year to improve and learn and reflect and work to bridge the gap between where I am now and the awesomeness to which I aspire.

It will be good.

10 Comments:

Blogger The Science Goddess said...

Congratulations and best wishes on your next adventure.

I'm sure that things aren't turning out quite like you had anticipated a year ago, but good for you for staying flexible and for being resilient. Life in education is always a rollercoaster, but at least it's never dull.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

Never dull - that's for sure.
There's a surprise around ever corner. And even places where you didn't originally see a corner, a corner appears JUST so that you can find a new surprise hiding on the other side.

7:58 AM  
Blogger comebacknikki said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear something worked out for you!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news! Congratulations :)

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Amber said...

YAY - Congratulations!! And it's always nice to know someone whose going to the same school as you. :o)

3:42 PM  
Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Congratulations!! So glad to hear this great news!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Sisyphus said...

Cheers! Congratulations! Happy being employed next year!

7:00 PM  
Blogger miss bioteacher said...

yayyyy!! I'm so happy for you! :)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

Thanks everyone. :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Troy D'Hondt said...

Congrats R. Grownup :)

It's a couple of months late since I haven't read your blog in a while. I'm just hoping nothing bad happens in the next couple entries to make this congratulations a moot point :)

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home