/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Do I have to choose my own future?

I woke up at 3am and was unable to fall back asleep due to my new hobby of worrying about my future.

Undergrad was comfortable. It was easy in that I always knew what I was supposed to be doing - I was a student, my job was to study and read and write. When I wasn't doing one of those things, I was working at one of my three campus jobs. I was always busy, always occupied, always mentally stimulated.

Now, I have a few months of student teaching in the fall, and then what? What am I supposed to do after the student teaching? Teach, in theory, I guess. And I will. But I also want to live somewhere in Latin America again, for a time. I want to go to graduate school. How do I decide what to do when, in what order, for how long? When I do go to graduate school, what do I want to do there? Do I want a masters (certainly), do I want a PhD (perhaps)? What exactly do I want to study?

And, doesn't everyone get advanced degrees in education? How do I stand out in the job market? If something were to happen, and I were to one day in the future actually try to get a PhD, what would I do with that? I've seen from my own college experiences that institutional politics are no fun - I don't know that I would want to subject myself to that. But, I would really like to perform educational research, and you need to be affiliated with a college or university to do research (right? I don't know). And with that comes the politics.

Really though, I shouldn't even be worrying about that stuff yet. First, I have to get through the whole student teaching experience. I have time before I have to worry about what will happen post student teaching. It's good that I think about it (a lot...) but maybe it's just creating unnecessary stress. However, at the same time, I want to know what I'm going to be doing come January, when I'm done student teaching and officially out on my own. Do I want to substitute teach? (No, not really. I feel that short-term subbing would be a painful existence. Though I suppose it would be useful to work with a greater range of ages than I would otherwise have the opportunity to work with.) You can't really find a full-time teaching job half way through the year, so that's out of the question. If I were to take this time to leave the country, which would be ideal in some ways, I wouldn't be here in the spring to apply for teaching jobs for the fall.

And, when I do end up teaching full-time, where do I want to do that? In HomeState? In SchoolState? In an entirely new-to-me state? Do I want to make an effort to live near any specific university in which I could potentially attend graduate school?

Too many questions, but I will come up with answers soon enough, because I will have to.

I will end this chaotic stream-of-consciousness with a conversation I had a few days ago with my 10 year old cousin:
Cousin: So, is your school over?
Me: Yup. I'm all done with school.
Cousin: Are you sad?
Me: Yes. I like school.
Cousin: Well, you could always go back to college.
Me: Okay.

(Now, I will try to stop worrying about my future and go back to sleep for an hour before it is time to wake up for the day...)

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms M. said...

This sounds a little (ok, a LOT) like what I was worrying about when I completed my undergrad ed. If I have any advice to give, it is to stop worrying and do what feels right. I realize this is easy to say and hard to follow, but really, we all have perhaps only this one life, and I for one think that we need to spend less time worrying about what we 'should' do and do more of what we 'can' to do.

After student-teaching I spent a few months travelling around Cambodia and Thailand before I started working just because I knew I might not have the chance again. I also subbed for a while, which was hell, but it gave me a better sense of what to leave for a sub when I'm out. I also took my sweet time with my Master's and still sometimes ponder whether I'd like a more advanced degree. Bottom line? I don't regret bopping around a bit before I figured it all out. It will be harder to float in the breeze once you get a career going, so you might as well float first. I didn't get my first 'real' job until I was 27, and it was the best decision I ever made. Do I want to be a middle school teacher in NY forever? Probably not. There are still many places I'd like to live, things to do etc, and I think that it can be done, despite only earning a measly paycheck.

Go for what you want at the moment and things tend to just fall into place. Worst case scenario - you hate what you chose and you go back and start a different path, but hopefully you take something from the experience.

Sorry if that was a bit rambling, but I really encourage you to push your own limits, even if it's scary and worrysome.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home