/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Distraught, still.

I met with my education advisor to discuss what she knows about the impending elimination of the elementary education program.

It was horrible.  I shouldn't, and won't, discuss too many specifics here.  But the entire thing was completed in a very closed process.  Part of the reason it was able to occur this way was due to an unfortunate technicality.  The entire education department is in a state of shock, and the nontenured professors, especially, are feeling the pain and anxiety of the uncertainty of everything.

I've never been moved to take action over anything.  I'm one of the most non-confrontational people I know.  But I cannot sit back and watch my department be destroyed, and see my professors hurt in the process.  That is, perhaps, what is bothering me most now.  The disregard for the rights of the professors.  And that may or may not be the correct aspect of the whole debacle to feel the most anger toward, but if it will make me take action, then so be it.

And I am taking action.  They would never be allowed to just eliminate half of the anthropology department, or an important section of the physics department.  Those are things that would never be in any one's mental mindset of things that could possibly happen.  So why is it allowed to happen to the education department?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what college you attend, but the possible cutting of your program sucks. I'm glad you have resolved to do something about it.

Good luck with your last semester of school!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

Thanks for the note of support.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many moons ago, I read something that quoted a professor (in education) who called education programs the Rodney Dangerfield's of university - they ain't got no respect.

Good luck fighting the politics of higher education!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home