/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 - Year in review

I have read so many people's postings of this list, or a similar one. I decided to participate.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?


-I graduated from college.
-I student taught.
-I bought a car.
-I lived all alone (no roommates, just a borrowed pet).

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't make New Year's resolutions. I don't make resolutions in general because I tend to break them, and then I get upset about not following through like I wish I had.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

A cousin.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No.

5. What countries did you visit?

Just the US.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?

I don't think I can really compare this upcoming year with the last in this way. I'm going to be in a completely different place (mentally, emotionally, developmentally, financially).

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

I actually don't remember the date, but the day of my college graduation, maybe?

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

-I graduated college.
-I survived student teaching.
-I wrote the longest paper I have ever written.
-I gave an hour-long presentation with a question-and-answer session.

9. What was your biggest failure?

My relationship with my cooperating teaching.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing more than a cold, knock on wood.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

-Best? A new laptop.
-Most expensive? A car.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My professor. For not throttling me when I whined so much about my student teaching situation, and for actually sympathizing with me.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Not necessarily appalled, but depressed? My cooperating teaching. We had issues.

14. Where did most of your money go?


My car. I bought a less-than-five-year-old car, and paid in full. I have no interest, but I also have no money left.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

-Returning to Undergrad College after studying abroad.
-Living with the two coolest people (aka, my closest friends) at Undergrad College, for a semester.
-Student Teaching.
-Ending student teaching.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?

I listened to After All by Dar Williams a lot driving to and from my student teaching school. I hadn't listened to it a whole lot before.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?

a) Compared to this exact time, I'm a bit happier. I was going through some uncomfortable reverse-culture-shock upon returning to the US after studying abroad which was keeping me pretty upset throughout January of 2007.
b) Oddly, substantially thinner.
c) Poorer. Though hopefully richer once I find a job.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?


More writing following intense bouts of thinking.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Complaining

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

I don't celebrate Christmas, but my family usually congregates at my grandparents' house, since everyone is off of work and everything. We actually celebrated a late Hanukkah on Christmas.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?

With Vygotsky? Yes. With a living person? No.

22. How many one-night stands?

None.

23. What was your favorite TV program?

Good Eats on Food Network.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I don't like to hate anyone. There is a person toward whom I have strong negative feelings, that I did not know at this time last year.

25. What was the best book you read?

Growing up Bilingual by Ana Celia Zentella.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?


Not so much a discovery, but I realized that I really like Dar Williams.

27. What did you want and get?

I didn't really want it, but I needed a car, which I got.

28. What did you want and not get?

A perfectly positive student teaching experience. (Though I do value what I had, and learned tremendously from it.)

29. What was your favorite film of this year?

I don't enjoy movies.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I heard a presidential candidate speak. I turned older than 21, but younger than 25.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I was pretty satisfied with my year, overall.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?

Don't forget to brush your hair. Don't forget to zip your zipper. Don't forget to tie your shoes. (I don't so much have a fashion sense.) Maybe... Ann Taylor Loft Sale Rack.

33. What kept you sane?

Being able to talk to friends. Having people who would listen to me talk and rant about the things that were bothering me.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

None.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?

I don't know.

36. Who did you miss?

-My host mom from Mexico.
-My two roommates from last spring semester.

37. Who was the best new person you met?

My 50 wonderful students. They helped me realize where my passions and beliefs as a teacher lie. Without them, I wouldn't be the person/teacher I have developed into.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

-Sometimes, institutional politics are not fair. Sometimes, life sucks.
-Communication is so, so, very important. People cannot get into my head, and therefore I have to explicitly say what I am thinking.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

(January began with me having just left Mexico.
May had me leaving Undergrad College.
December had me leaving Student Teaching.)

"Me Voy. Que lástima pero adios."
(I'm leaving. It's a shame, but goodbye)

3 Comments:

Blogger la rebelde said...

"me voy. que lástima pero adios."

that would be one of my picks too! although i'd probably go with something from Canciones de Amor--just cuz i'm cynical. :)

10:52 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

A "borrowed" pet? Is there a service that offers animals on loan?

9:06 PM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

californiateacherguy - Heh, no. I was house sitting and pet sitting for the semester. It was the house I was really excited to live in, but it happened to come with a cat. A borrowed cat.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home