/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Purpose of an Education Blog?

I think I am going to reevaluate what I want to get out of writing in the education-type blog.

I read a lot of education blogs (see looonnnggg column at right).  I think they are all informative and fascinating in many ways, whether I agree with the writers, disagree with the writers, sympathize with their problems, or experience whatever other emotions which may be invoked by the stories the bloggers tell.

It is getting more and more difficult for me to ignore the fact that I read all this blogs when I participate in the discussions during my education classes.  There have been many times when I want to make a comment in class, tying something together with what I have read in others' blogs.  But I can't.  Because I have this page, and I have written things that I do not want my professors to see.  And if I say something, and they come online and find other education blogs, they may very well find mine too.  And that would be...problematic.

I'm going to think about it a little more.  I am going to try to write only about my thoughts/emotions/ideas about education and my program, without referring to my professors in ways that could be upsetting to them or incriminating for myself.

If that works, if that allows me to get out of this writing experience what I want to get out of it, I will continue to write in the more abstract way.  If I just feel the need to rant a little bit about my instructors, well...I'll figure something out.

Whatever I decide though, I'm still going to tell pre-school stories:

Little Girl (in a very quiet whisper and a conspiratorial tone, leaning in close to my ear ): I have to tell you a secret.  When I grow up, I'm going to be a superhero!

4 Comments:

Blogger EHT said...

Wow...you are sooooooo right. I catch myself all the time wanting to talk about something I saw or something I wrote. Quite a slippery slope we are on. I have thought about having a professional blog which is my intention with "History is Elementary" and a blog that is more personal where I could be the vent queen. Ours is a profession where you never want to burn your bridges. You never know where that person will appear again in your professional life. You have to be very careful in a school system because you never know who the person you are talking to knows.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Hg said...

I'd be tempted to say it anyway. People can all learn form blogs and the chances of them finding you are probably quite slim. It's a big world of edu blogs... so, maybe don't direct people to blogs that yours is linked from. What I have read your blog doesn't seem to be too identifiable unless they really knew you... and then you can always deny it.

Your blog is great. I have only just started working with young kids and your descriptions are great. It even makes me miss uni... just a little.

Having a think about why you are doing something is a good sign ;o)

1:14 AM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

elemhistoryteacher - I actually do have two blogs. This one focuses on education-themed things. I have another one which I began writing when I was 16 or 17 and was more a general journal/link compilation. I still post to it when I am feeling particularly teenage-angsty (despite the fact that I'm not a teenager anymore). I have thought about creating a 3rd blog to separate my more "professional" education side and my more "college student/ranty" education side. But I think that would just be too many different blogs. :)

hg - I think the chances of them finding my blog, if I pointed out others, would actually be quiet large. Because many of the blogs I read the most and which have the most impact on me link back to my blog. Also, while my blog isn't identifiable if you have no idea who I am or where I go to school, if someone who knew me in real life were to come upon this blog, many of the details would be identifying. And since I do go to a small school, I know at least one professor who has commented on my writing style several times and may even be able to recognize me through the voice I use in my writing.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sangambayard-c-m.com

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home