/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Monday, March 13, 2006

Evaluations.

Last semester I had an observation placement in which I completed 25+ hours of observation/one-on-one work with a child in a special education classroom.  At the end of the semester, my professor sent out evaluation forms to the c00perating teachers, asking them to fill out the forms and send them back to the college.  These are really easy forms.  They have to make about 6 check marks, and if they want, add some comments.  It would take no more than five minutes if you wanted to fill it out quickly.  Not only does this evaluation help us see how the teacher perceived our work with the students, but it also is required for our certification portfolios.

Three months and several e-mail to the c00perating teacher later, I still have not received my evaluation.  This is beginning to frustrate me for several reasons:

1) I know what my perceptions were of how I worked with the students and teachers in the class, but I don't know if my perceptions were the same as the teacher's perceptions.  I'm a big fan of feedback, especially in regards to something that is important to me.  I want to know how I did!
2) I recently had a meeting with the educati0n department to talk about how I am doing, to assess if I am completing all the standards required for certification.  I am doing okay.  Except they won't "pass" me in one area until I receive this evaluation.
3) It will take the teacher five minutes!  She was a great teacher to work with and always seemed to be on top of things when I was in her room.  I know she's busy, and as a special education teacher has loads of paperwork to deal with, but why can't she spare the five minutes to fill out of the form?  I spent a semester in there, helping her with a sometimes-difficult student.  When I was there, this student's regular one-on-one aid was able to do other things around the classroom or help other students.  Had I not been there, the aid would have spent that time working one-on-one with "my" student.

(I had to get that complaint out.  I feel better now.)

In other news, my favorite pre-school quote of the day follows:
Teacher: "We don't have wars in outer space.  That would just be dangerous."

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had the same type of situation last quarter with observing for 30 hours in a special education classroom and it took 2 months for me to get the evaluation form back. Good luck with getting everything taken care of.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

Thanks. It's not as if they would deny me my certification if I never get the evalution, since I did complete the course and did have an observation log signed by the CT. Part of what's worrying me is that my professor is giving up on trying to get the evaluation. I don't think she really cares too much about getting it anymore. She knows me and knows that I did well (or at least well enough) in my placement. Plus, she knows the CT personally (I go to school in a small town, people just seem to know each other) and I think doesn't want to bug her too much.

Still, it's annoying though.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sangambayard-c-m.com

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home