/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Year Two, Update Two.

If you don't have something nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all - especially if it is being posted on the internet.

That's my excuse for not writing this year. My students are fine - they're not causing me any big problems. It's the other parts (administration, coworkers, and policy-rules) that are driving me insane this year.

If I had felt this frustrated last year, I may not have made it to being a second year teacher.

I'm basically frustrated/upset much of the time, have gotten "in trouble" for doing things like going to conferences and assessing my students, (both things that were encouraged last year...) and will probably be layed off again at the end of the school year due to further budget cuts (without hope for being rehired).


But, the kids are great. When I'm not getting in trouble or having my schedule screwed with, I am feeling surprisingly competent in teaching. Many of my students have made awesome jumps in reading since the beginning of the school year, and even though I am not using the new district-mandated math program (because I was never taught how, and it is very traditional/worksheet based, instead of being constructivist which I how I like to teach math) my students are doing pretty well in math, too.

I was so lucky last year to have such a supportive administration and such great coworkers. Maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to experience that again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for you! Its a shame that the auxiliaries are always what make us think about leaving...you're not alone on that one! Hang in there and know that you're doing great things for kids. *hugs*

-Ms. SighAnts

2:56 PM  
Blogger ms.understood said...

I am sorry to hear you're having a tough year. I had a rough second year of teaching, but with new administration at my school my third year has been great. I am in the same boat with you on the rif though. I am very concerned I won't have a job at all next year. Hang in there!

5:44 PM  
Blogger kanishk said...

you're not alone on that one! Hang in there and know that you're doing great things for kids.

Work from home India

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Ms. Grown Up. You should definitely get a Louis Vuitton.

Signed,
I'm sitting like this, and my nose is falling off.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home