/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Instances in which I may be sorely lacking in sympathy.

Student: "Teacher, sometimes I cough so hard I think I'm gonna throw up."
Me: "If you think you're going to throw up, please do it over the garbage can."

Me: "For homework tonight, I need you to read. You all have plenty of books I have photocopied and sent home with you, so you all have something to read."
Student: "Teacher, I moved."
Me: "If you move, you need to make sure to take your books with you."
Student: "But Teacher, they're in a box."
Me: "You need to find them.

Student: "I'm bleeding."
Me: "Oh, it's not that bad. Just go wash your hands with soap (to get the blood off) and I'll stick a band-aid on it."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like something I would do, honestly. Though I would ask bleeding student if they wanted a hug. Even my high schoolers like hugs.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Dree said...

Too funny. My new line is "you'll live." As in, "Miss M, I have the hiccups."

"You'll live."

:)

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

InfamousJ, If there was a real injury resulting in bleeding I would be more sympathetic. Most of the bleeding I deal with (nonchalantly like this) is a result of picked scabs or mosquito bites. The child isn't actually hurt, just...leaking.

And Dree, I do that, too. When they come up to me and show me a tiny red dot on their skin, I pretend to get all shocked and exclaim, "Oh no!! Do you think you're going to survive?" They usually say yes. I tell them to go back to whatever they were doing before the non-emergency.

I'm just saving my real worry for a real emergency.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Especially with the little kids, you have to lay down the law. They have a sob story for everything!

One of my high schoolers - a kid who never listens and lives to disrupt my class - asked to go to the nurse as he was picking a scab or removing a Band-Aid from a wound. I just said, "No." He tried to be all hurt and rally the class against me. I gave him a Band-Aid and all was well.

The big kids can be as big babies as the little kids... :P

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home