/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Micr0-teaching.

Micr0-teaching, the kind where the college student teaches a 2nd grade less0n to the rest of his or her educati0n class, is just plain strange.  It's awkward for the "students" and awkward for the "teacher."

Yes, there is definite benefit to seeing how your less0n goes, even if it is in such a fabricated situation.  You get to practice talking and articulating your thoughts to others, you get to see how the timing will theoretically work out, and above all you have the opportunity to rehearse the lesson before you teach it "live" to real children.  You have practiced it, so you aren't both teaching a lesson to unfamiliar students and trying to remember what you wanted to do in the lesson.  You've already practiced ahead of time.

Today some of the other people in my class micr0-taught.  I will have my turn later in the week.  Last time I had to micr0-teach, I wasn't nervous about presenting in front of other people.  I was worried that I would just start laughing in the middle of the lesson, at the ridiculousness of it all.  (I managed to hold back, for the most part.  There was one short-lived incident though.)

That is my fear again.  We'll see how it goes. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in graduate school we had to micro-teach as well....but we actually had to videotape ourselves working with a child or group of children and then show this video to the class. It was very weird to watch myself teach...but it was great to get the feedback of my peers!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Not Quite Grown Up... said...

When I teach the real children (as opposed to the college students) I will be video-taped. From an "oh-my-god I don't want to see myself on video-tape" standpoint, I'm dreading it. From an "I want to learn from my mistakes and be the best teacher I can be" standpoint, I'm looking forward to the video-taping.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home