/* open id delegation ---------------------------------------------- */

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I need to stop obsessing and just send out applications...

In my continued filling out of job applications, I have two problems.

1. I'm seriously bad at answering the "what are three reasons you want to be a teacher?" question. And the fact that I have a hard time coming up with three concrete reasons doesn't seem like a very good sign for my future as a teacher.

2. I'm afraid that I'm going to sound too "liberal," "idealist," "hippy," "naive," "deluded," or whatever you want to call it, when responding to many of the questions, again such as "what are three reasons you want to be a teacher?"

Why do I want to be a teacher? Because I want to be an advocate for my students, because I want to show them that learning can be fun and useful and valuable to them, because I want to help them develop into educated global citizens.

Is that too sappy?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. T said...

Definitely not too sappy. In your interviewing process- play the sap card.
The three reasons you list certainly sound better than that old joke "June, July and August".

11:20 PM  
Blogger la rebelde said...

I don't think that's sappy--just honest. But it can be so hard to articulate. Lately I've been trying to start those kinds of essays with an anecdote about my own experience. It just helps get my thoughts going. And then I can decide whether to cut the anecdote out or leave it in. Usually I leave it in if I have space. It also helps if I begin it like a blog post--if you're just writing a blog post, there's not so much pressure. and then the words get flowing. you can always revise after.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Ms. Singh said...

I think that your answers are honest and not at all too sappy. As a to-be licensed teacher, my answers to those types of questions are veritably the same as yours. Good luck =)

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. T - Ugh, I absolutely hate when people say, "June, July, and August" or anything along those lines. Yuck.

La Rebelde - I do the same thing - I try to start everything thinking about it as a blog post. (That's how I wrote my whole research paper/thesis for my student teaching, too.) (also, I will do your meme, soon.)

Ms. S - Thanks. Sometimes I just can't tell. Good to know that you're answers would be similar.

7:13 PM  
Blogger snowflakes said...

I feel the same--i'm trying to answer that same question. Good Luck! I think what you are saying is great.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home